Oscar Post-Mortem, Part 1 of 6

Part 1 of 6: BEST PICTURE, BEST DIRECTOR...

Disclaimer: All comments that I make are solely based on my opinion and expertise as a film critic, and is purely subjective.


BEST PICTURE
My Head Says: No Country For Old Men
My Heart Says: There Will Be Blood
Winner: No Country For Old Men

Comments: It's essentially a two-way fight between No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood. Juno seems like it might just pip the two front-runners, but I never really believed that it will happen, no matter how much the audiences love Juno. There Will Be Blood should have won the award simply because it was clearly (based on my score below) the best picture of the year.

Atonement: 7.5/10
Juno: 8/10
Michael Clayton: 6.5/10
No Country For Old Men: 8.5/10
There Will Be Blood: 9.5/10

BEST DIRECTOR
My Head Says: The Coen Brothers
My Heart Says: Paul Thomas Anderson
Winner: The Coen Brothers

Comments: Another battle between the Coen Brothers and the up-and-coming filmmaker Paul Thomas Anderson. The brothers are well-known for their skills in film writing but less as directors. They know how to crank up the suspense to unbearable levels as seen from their latest effort. But for pure and raw directing talent, Anderson floors everybody; he's certainly the next Stanley Kubrick in the making.

Both Tony Gilroy (Michael Clayton) and Jason Reitman (Juno) know that they are lucky to be nominated. Where's Tim Burton (Sweeney Todd) and Ridley Scott (American Gangster)? Julian Schnabel (The Diving Bell And The Butterfly) is a deserving nominee. I'd have rather seen Anderson or Schanbel get the directing honors than the Coen Brothers.


Part 2 of 6: BEST LEADING ACTOR/ACTRESS, BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR/ACTRESS...

Comments

Popular Posts