Oscar Post-Mortem, Part 6 of 6

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
My Head Says: Ratatouille
My Heart Says: Persepolis
Winner: Ratatouille

Comments: Some were surprised that Surf's Up got a nomination, though I was half-expecting it to happen. Surf's Up is an unconventional animated film because it's filmed like a documentary, and it's in my opinion the third best feature after Persepolis and Ratatouille. While it's almost a certainty than another Pixar film will win this category again, Persepolis might just be the film to pip Ratatouille to the finish line. While Pixar keeps breaking new ground in animation technology and realism, Persepolis is a timely reminder that keeping it unsophisticated works as well.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
My Head Says: 12
My Heart Says: 12
Winner: The Counterfeiters

Comments: I can't comment on anything here because there's no screening of all five of the nominated films in this category yet in Singapore. My gut feeling says 12, a Russian film inspired by 12 Angry Men, which starred Henry Fonda and is helmed by Sidney Lumet. The results show that there's something wrong with my gut.

BEST DOCUMENTARY
My Head Says: Sicko
My Heart Says: Sicko
Winner: Taxi To The Dark Side

Comments: I love Sicko a lot. It's one of Michael Moore's best films. The consolation is that Taxi To The Dark Side wins the category, a dark horse that I predicted might crash Moore's party.


END OF OSCAR POST-MORTEM...

Comments

Popular Posts